County Tour 

Baker Mansion

  Baker MansionThis English mansion was built between 1912-1914 by Frances Baker, an English immigrant.  Much of the material used for construction was imported from England. The home is designed after the English country homes prominent among the wealthy landowners in England during the 1900's.Everything from  the red tile roof to the nickel-plated bathroom fixtures is of top quality and design.  The impressive house contains 15 rooms, including 8 bedrooms, a great hall, large kitchen and laundry.  All ceilings are 12 feet high and the doors and 10 feet. The top floor of the two and a half story home was finished into a ballroom and billiard room.   The home, now a private residence, has been fully restored. 
(48113 SD Highway 48, 2 miles west of Akron, IA)

Spink Settlement

  The historic Spink community at one time consisted of severalSpink Store homes, a post office, blacksmith shop, locker,  drug store, a doctor, a photograph gallery, creamery, saloon and general store. The town was established with the country store owned and operated by Johannes Larson in 1871. The Larson family continued to operated the store for 110 years.  Some say the name "Spink" came from a Civil War General, as Johannes Larson served in the Union Forces during the war.  At one time Spink was a contender for the county seat of Union County and also vied with Elk Point and Vermillion for the Southern Railroad. In 1901 the Sioux Valley Horseshoe Pitching League was organized by Everett Peterson, making it the first in the state.
  (Junction of Highway 48 & County Road 12)

Garryowen Settlement

Garryowen  This pioneer community was originally a settlement of  immigrants from Limerick, Ireland.  The St. Mary's Catholic Church was built in 1925 and dissolved in 1993.  The building now houses an antique mall. The name, Garryowen, was taken from the name of the oldest section of Limerick, Ireland 
(Junction of  Highway 48 & County Road 1C)